The Firestone Center for Restoration Ecology
reserve and field station is a 60 hectare
(150 acre) property located on the southwest
coast of Costa Rica, adjacent to the well-known
Baru Reserve, near the town of Dominical.
The property, originally lowland rainforest,
was progressively cleared for cattle farming in
the 1950's and 1960's. Since 1993, the property
has been the subject of restoration and
sustainable forestry efforts. Management of the
property was transferred to Pitzer College in
2005, which manages the site as a biological
reserve and logistical base for undergraduate
ecological research and education.